top of page


Brandon United 1-7 Newcastle Blue Star (23/09/2023)

It was goals galore for Newcastle Blue Star yesterday, as they ran out comfortable 7-1 winners against Brandon United.

Four goals from Dan Lanning – as well as goals from Paul Robinson, Nelson Ogbewe and Gary Ormston handed Blue Star their biggest victory of the season so far.

With the two sides sat at opposite ends of the table heading into the game, Blue Star arrived at the Welfare Ground as firm favourites – having beaten Brandon 5-0 only last month.

Despite starting slowly in recent weeks, Blue Star were straight out of the traps and took an early lead in the sixth minute – when Ogbewe unselfishly squared it to Lanning, who fired his shot home into the bottom corner.

Blue Star would not stop there, however, grabbing a second goal in the 11th minute – with Robinson finding the corner with a beautiful side-footed finish.

Brandon’s first-half miseries would then continue, with ‘The Star’ notching yet another goal in the 17th minute. Ogbewe would turn from provider to goalscorer, with the striker rounding off a beautiful solo run by calmly slotting home into an empty net.

Following Blue Star’s third, the home side started to grow into the game and make it a much more competitive contest – grabbing a goal back in the 28th minute, with their number nine scoring from the penalty spot.

Blue Star would have chances to further extend their lead before the break, with Freddie Marr hitting the crossbar – ultimately though the score would remain 3-1 heading into halftime.

‘The Star’ would start the second half as they started the first, scoring just four minutes after the restart - with Ormston scoring from the penalty spot after a handball from the Brandon number four.

Lanning would then rub salt into the wounds of the home side scoring a fifth and sixth goal in quick succession (54th and 57th minute). His first came in the fashion of a cool, composed finish – his second meanwhile was an absolute thumping finish into the top corner.

Hungry for more, the young striker would not stop there – scoring his fourth of the afternoon in the 75th minute, with a beautifully curled effort into the far corner.

Blue Star would push for even more goals before the final whistle but ultimately the referee would blow time on what was a perfect afternoon for ‘The Star’.


bottom of page