top of page


Newcastle Blue Star 1-1 Billingham Synthonia (24/11/2023)

Marc Nash’s reign as Blue Star boss began with a draw last night – as ‘The Star’ shared the points with Billingham Synthonia, in a well-contested 1-1 stalemate.

Billingham took the lead midway through the first half thanks to a quick counterattack, only for Ben Harmison to equalise for Blue Star in the second half.

Joining the club on Monday, there wasn’t much time for Nash and his management team to get their message across ahead of the game. The visitors would have been looking to pounce on this, having enjoyed a good run of form themselves, winning their last four games prior to the fixture.

With over 300 fans packed into Scotswood, Blue Star would be the ones to start on the front foot. Nearly taking an early lead in the 7th minute – with Alex Nicholson’s cross finding Harmison in the box, whose header hit off the goalkeeper.

The home side continued to push for an opener, with Phil Bright’s looping cross nestling off the crossbar, in the 10th minute.

Blue Star though would rue those missed chances, as they would be caught on the break by a quick Billingham counterattack, with their number seven calmly slotting the ball under Aaron Stevens – in the 17th minute.

Despite going behind, Blue Star continued to control the ball – nearly replying with a goal of their own in the 22nd minute when Euan Anderson’s header skimmed off the crossbar.

Billingham though, would hold onto their lead and go into the half-time break ahead on the scoresheet, 1-0.

‘The Star’ started the second half in search of an equaliser, but it would be Billingham who looked most likely to score – nearly scoring a second in the 55th minute, only to be denied by a fantastic save from Stevens.

As the minutes ticked by, Blue Star grew more and more frustrated in their quest for an equaliser, they would however eventually get the goal they desired. As in the 70th minute, Oscar Hartley’s free kick found Harmison in the box, who flicked his header into the bottom corner.

Following the equaliser, both sides would push for a winner with Blue Star nearly grabbing a second goal in the 87th minute, when Paul Robinson found himself in a yard of space in the box but the winger could only fire his shot into the side netting.

The referee though would soon blow the final whistle and send both sides home with a point, 1-1.


bottom of page