top of page


Newcastle Blue Star 1-3 Newcastle University (24/02/2024)

Newcastle Blue Star’s promotion hopes were dealt a hammer blow at the hands of Newcastle University yesterday, who ran out 3-1 winners at Scotswood.

Fresh from their 1-0 defeat to Bedlington Terriers in midweek, Blue Star entered the game sat third in the Northern League Division Two, ten places above visitors Newcastle University.

The University themselves had also suffered defeat at the hands of Bedlington Terriers recently, losing 3-0 at home last weekend.

Blue Star would start on the front foot and control the majority of the ball early on, they would however fall behind in the 12th minute after a quick counterattack from the University, which saw Tolu Osmemi latch onto a long ball and arrow his shot into the far corner.

In almost carbon copy fashion, the home side would get caught on the break yet again just four minutes later, when Matthew Foster raced in behind the Blue Star backline and slid his shot perfectly under the on-rushing Aaron Steavens.

After going two behind, Blue Star looked to get themselves back into the game and would nearly do so through Dan Lanning in the 20th minute, with the youngster’s close-range effort being denied by a fantastic point-blank save from Richardson in the University net.

Blue Star would continue to pile on the pressure before the half-time break with Shaun Ryder coming inches away from scoring, seeing his diving header nestle off the post in the 44th minute.

Newcastle University though would hold onto their lead and enter half-time with a two-goal advantage.

Clearly looking to right wrongs of the first half, Blue Star would start the second half in extra quick fashion, getting themselves back into the game in the 48th minute – with Dan Turner’s corner landing perfectly at the feet of Jack Daley, who tapped home.

‘The Star’ started to pile on the pressure in search of an equaliser but could not find that killer pass to unlock the stubborn University defence.

The University would then reek the rewards of all their resolute defending by scoring a third goal in the 73rd minute, with defender Jay Harris rising highest to head home from a corner.

Following the University’s third goal, Blue Star threw caution to the wind in search of a late comeback but would leave themselves open to the counter, with Osmemi nearly grabbing his second of the afternoon in the 82nd minute, after a quick break away.

As the minutes ticked away Blue Star’s desperate hopes of a comeback started to fade away with their best chance of getting back into the game coming in the 85th minute, with Alfie Livermore’s long-range shot skimming past the post.

The referee, however, would soon then blow the final whistle and confirm Newcastle University as surprise 3-1 victors.


bottom of page