top of page


Newcastle Blue Star 2-0 Ponteland United (01/05/2023)

Newcastle Blue Star ended their home season with a 2-0 win over a resilient Ponteland United side.

In what was their first game as champions, it was Ryan Carr who was the hero, with the midfielder bagging a brace for his side. Carr’s first came in the 19th minute, with his curled effort finding the far corner. His and Blue Star’s second then came in the 51st minute, with the midfielder heading home from a corner – to secure his side the victory.

Newcastle Blue Star headed into the fixture as the newly crowned champions of the Northern Alliance Premier Division, having secured the title on Thursday. Ponteland however would have been hoping to dampen the promotion party, looking for three points to further secure their place in mid-table.

With the bank holiday sun shining down on them, it was the league champions who controlled the majority of the ball early on, eventually taking the lead in the 19th minute. As after a couple of blocked efforts, the ball fell to Carr on the edge of the box who sublimely curled his effort into the bottom corner.

Following their opener, ‘The Star’ began to push for a second but the away side stayed strong and eventually started to grow more confident in the game. As in the 30th minute, some smart midfield play led to number eleven being one on one with Sean Mcafferty, but the Blue Star keeper would prove his class with a quality save.

Blue Star were then nearly the masters of their own downfall again, as in 36th minute some sloppy play at the back led to number ten firing from range, drawing another good save out of Mcafferty.

Despite being 1-0 up, Blue Star grew more and more frustrated as the half wore on, failing to find a second goal before the half-time whistle.

The home side were out early for the second half, in a effort to stretch their slender lead and they would do exactly that. As in the 51st minute, Marc Lancaster’s looping corner found Carr at the back post, who headed home for his second of the game.

‘The Star’ nearly then added a third six minutes later, as Freddie Marr’s cross found Nelson Ogbewe three yards out from goal, but the winger’s shot was miraculously saved by the Ponteland keeper.

It would turn out to not be Ogbewe’s day as he would see another of his efforts denied, but this time by the woodwork – seeing his right footed effort rattle off the crossbar in the 82ndminute.

Despite the away side tiring as the game wore on, Ponteland remained competitive throughout with both number two and twelve coming close to scoring. Blue Star however would stay strong and keep their clean sheet – and most importantly bag the three points.


bottom of page