top of page


Newcastle University 1-4 Newcastle Blue Star (16/09/2023)

Newcastle Blue Star returned to winning ways yesterday, coming from behind to win 4-1 against Newcastle University.

Goals from Paul Robinson, Nelson Ogbewe, Michael Richardson, and an own goal from the University goalkeeper handed ‘the Star’ their first win in three games.

Blue Star made the trip to Essity Park looking to put their run of winless games behind them, having failed to win since their 5-0 thumping of Washington back in August. Newcastle University meanwhile entered the fixture hoping to put a dent in Blue Star’s promotion push, having endured a pretty mixed start to the season themselves.

Both sides would start the game in quick fashion, with it being very end-to-end early on. Newcastle Uni though would be the ones to strike first, with their number nine curling a beautiful effort into the top corner from around 30 yards out, to give his side the lead in the 18th minute.

Going behind seemed to kick Blue Star into action, immediately replying with a goal of their own in the 23rd minute. Robinson would be the man to get his side level, firing a left-footed shot into the bottom corner.

The home side however would nearly fire themselves back into the lead just four minutes later, with their number nine hitting the crossbar then somehow missing the rebound from two yards out.

Newcastle Uni would have yet another chance to take the lead in the 36th minute, with their number eight smartly working his way into the box only to scuff his shot straight into the hands of debutant, Ryan Johnson.

Despite both sides having chances before the break, the score would remain 1-1 at half-time.

Clearly frustrated by their sloppy first-half performance, Blue Star came out in the second half looking to right the wrongs of the first. They would do exactly that just five minutes into the second half when Craig McFarlane’s cross found Ogbewe at the back post, who tapped home into an empty net.

‘The Star’ however would not stop there, scoring a third goal in the 54th minute, thanks to a rather odd own goal by the Newcastle Uni goalkeeper – in which he somehow punched the ball into his own net.

Despite falling two goals behind the University remained dangerous on the break and arguably should have had a penalty in the 80th minute, when their number 14 was brought down by Curtis Coppen in the box.

It seemed as if the game would peter out at 3-1 but Blue Star midfielder, Richardson, would have other ideas, curling a beautiful free kick into the bottom corner in the 90th minute – to round off an impressive comeback by ‘The Star’.


bottom of page