top of page


Sunderland West End 1-5 Newcastle Blue Star (15/10/2023)

Yesterday, Newcastle Blue Star returned to winning ways with a comfortable 5-1 win against Sunderland West End.

Goals from Michael Richardson, Nelson Ogbewe, Dan Lanning and a brace from Lee Mason meant ‘The Star’ returned to the top of the Northern League Division Two.

Blue Star took the trip to Wearside looking to right the wrongs of their 3-3 draw with FC Hartlepool, last Friday. Sunderland West End meanwhile entered the fixture hoping to get back on the winning trail, having only won one of their last four matches heading into the game.

The wind would play a huge factor in how the first half would pan out – with the hosts reeking the rewards of this early on. Taking the lead in the 25th minute, when a long ball eventually fell at the feet of their number nine, who squared it to number eleven and the forward slotted home into an empty net.

West End’s opener seemed to give Blue Star the wake-up call they needed – with Brian Smith’s side nearly replying with a goal of their own straight away when Lanning fired a shot off the post in the 30th minute.

Blue Star though would soon get the goal they desired with Richardson placing his shot beautifully into the top corner, in the 41st minute.

Richardson’s late equaliser meant the two sides would go into the half-time break level, at 1-1.

With the wind in their sails, ‘The Star’ started the second half in much better fashion – taking the lead seven minutes after the restart. Ogbewe would be the player to get his side in front, side-footing his shot into the far corner – in true Thierry Henry fashion.

Following their second goal, it seemed as if Blue Star would pull away with the victory – Sunderland West End had other ideas though replying with a goal of their own in the 59th minute, only for it to be disallowed after the referee gave a foul in the build-up.

Clearly needing more than just a one-goal cushion, Blue Star looked to stretch their lead – doing exactly that in the 73rd minute, when Lanning arrowed his shot straight into the top corner, leaving the Sunderland keeper with no chance.

Blue Star would not stop there, however, notching a fourth goal in the 79th minute when Gary Ormston’s cross found substitute Mason at the back post, who tapped home.

Just as the game seemed as if it would peter out as a 4-1 win for Blue Star, Harvey Walsh would be brought down in the box and win his side a penalty in the 89th minute. Mason would step up to the spot and nestle the ball home, for his second of the game.

The referee would soon then blow the final whistle and confirm ‘The Star’ as 5-1 victors.


bottom of page