top of page


Newcastle United Under 21s 5-0 Newcastle Blue Star (18/10/2023)

Newcastle Blue Star’s eagerly awaited debut in the Northumberland Senior Cup ended in defeat, as they were comfortably beaten by a talented Newcastle United Under 21s side, 5-0.

Sitting pretty at the of the league and only having lost two games so far this season, Newcastle Blue Star entered the fixture in the unfamiliar territory of being firm underdogs. United’s season meanwhile has not got off on the best of starts, having not won a game since August.

Despite their poor start to the season, United’s youthful side headed into the fixture as firm favourites and would impose themselves onto the game, straight from the off. Taking the lead in the 7th minute, thanks to a fantastic low-driven finish from their number eight.

Blue Star held firm following the opener and started to grow into the game, limiting United to few chances.

The best of those chances would fall the way of their number seven, who cut from the right-hand side and unleashed a thunderbolt of a strike, which cannoned off the bar in the 35th minute.

With United dominating large proportions of the ball, Blue Star would be limited to chances on the break, with Ryan Carr coming closest – volleying just wide of the post in the 41st minute.

The score however would remain 1-0 at the half-time interval.

United would start the second half as they started the first, controlling the play and tempo. They would eventually turn all that possession into a goal, scoring a second goal in the 56th minute – with their number 10 smartly side-footing his shot into the bottom corner.

Ben Dawson’s side would not stop there however, scoring a third just four minutes later, with their number 10 grabbing his brace – heading home from close range.

Things would then go from bad to worse for Blue Star, as United made it 4-0 only a minute later– with their number seven curling his shot into the far corner.

United’s flurries of goals would continue with their number eight making it 5-0 in the 77th minute, with a fantastic long-range strike.

Blue Star though would have chances to score themselves, with Dan Lanning unlucky to score - firing a shot off the post in the 80th minute.

Ultimately though, the score would remain 5-0 and United would come away with victory and progress to the next round.


bottom of page