top of page


Boldon CA FC 2 - 5 Newcastle Blue Star (16/04/2024)

Blue Star hit FIVE away at Boldon

Blue Star began their end of season run in with a trip to Boldon, where they looked to settle the score from their previous fixture in which they came up short. Blue Star made just two changes to the team that won 4-0 at home to Billingham just 4 days prior. This time, they took to astro turf, which looked to create a platform for them to play some good football on. 

Blue Star began the game brightly with some early attacks in the opening stages. The first chance of the game came from their high press, from which Harry Barclay won the ball high up the pitch and gave it to Rio Joisce, who quickly found Lanning unmarked in the centre of the box, but his shot went just wide of the post. 

The second big chance came after 15 minutes when Blue Star midfielder Conor Oliver smashed a shot on goal from a tight angle, his effort was saved into the path of Dan Lanning, but a brilliant double save denied the forward from opening the scoring.  

Just five minutes later Lanning put that chance behind him. Lanning latched onto a mistake from the Boldon centre half and lifted the ball, from 12 yards out, high over the outcoming goalkeeper, before wheeling away in celebration. That goal meant Lanning had scored in consecutive games, a great time in the season to find some form. 

The opening stages had been all Blue Star with them controlling the ball and attacking down both flanks. Blue Star won a few consecutive corners and continued to pose a threat on the Boldon goal. 

After 32 minutes, some tricky feet from Davie Luke in the corner allowed him space to pick out the run of Rio Joisce, who met the cross on the volley, finishing tidily into the back of the net, doubling the away sides lead. His first goal for The Star, taken well by the youngster. 

Only three minutes later, Lanning found himself bearing down on goal again and this time opted to take the ball round the keeper and then smashed it passed the two recovering defenders on the line. A third for Blue Star and it was very much deserved. In his attempt to tackle Lanning the keeper almost took Lanning down and therefore, despite the goal, was shown a yellow card.  

At 3-0 Blue Star seemed to be cruising, however their lead may have been the architect of their own downfall as they got complacent, allowing Boldon to slide the ball into the path of their unmarked player who slotted into the corner. Marc Nash’s men were disappointed with that one as it was completely against the run of play. That was the last notable action of the first half ending 3-1. 

As the second half began the visitors started in the same way, pressing high from the front. Just one minute after the whistle Blue Star’s press paid off as Dan Lanning pressed the goalkeeper and capitalised on a miss kick, tapping into an empty net. Lanning completed his hattrick taking him onto two hat tricks in as many games.  

Unfortunately, on 53 minutes a mistake at the back for Blue Star allowed the Boldon winger to pounce onto a through ball before squaring it to Raby, who smashed it into the corner. Marc Nash once again left dissatisfied with the way in which they conceded and again, against the run of play which had been dominated by Blue Star. 

Blue Star responded well to the minor set back by attacking Boldon as Paul Dudgeon saw his effort from the centre of the box saved well. The next opportunity came shortly after as Lanning found space on the edge and unleashed a strike, but his effort was headed off the line.  

Blue Star’s persistence paid off, as Lanning was involved again, he found space on the edge of the box before sliding the ball to Harry Barclay who crossed the ball to Rio Joisce at the back post, unmarked for a tap in. Joisce bagged his second of the match and took away any fear of a late comeback. 

The three-goal cushion allowed manager Nash to make substitutions ahead of a busy schedule in the end of season run in. Substitute Owen Mitchell’s attempted cross almost deflected in but a fine stop from the goalkeeping spared the centre back’s blushes. Other substitute Nelson Ogbewe also went close, beating a defender before dragging his shot just wide, to the right of the post. The final action of the game was a good stop from Sean Mills, preventing any further damage.  

The sound of the full-time whistle meant Blue Star confirmed their playoff place with a 5-2 victory. The Star will be hoping to continue winning and finish strongly in their final fixtures in order to secure second spot which would provide them with a home semifinal and final in the play offs. They had a lot to take from the game as they managed 13 shots on target and 15 corners. Blue Star now look ahead to 4 games in 7 days and with champions Blyth next, they continue to be tested.  

Report by Alex Waters.





bottom of page